A Lab Technician at the Refinery works in a temperature-controlled environment performing process control and product certification testing on various refinery feedstocks, intermediate streams, finished products and processing chemicals. Other testing includes running the appropriate QC samples to support the accuracy of the process control and certification testing. This role supports the safe and efficient operation of the refinery as well as supporting Marketing in their effort to sell high quality fuels, petroleum feedstocks and asphalt products to various retailers and government entities.
- Participate in all refinery safety & health initiatives.
- Perform routine and QC testing as directed by the Chemists.
- Document all testing results in the Laboratory Information Management System.
- Clean and maintain laboratory instruments, equipment, and areas. Perform routine maintenance on instruments as required. Assist the Chemists with more complex repairs.
- Write Safe Work Permits for maintenance to be performed on the building, grounds, or instruments.
- Perform other duties as assigned (QC administration, writing procedures, ordering supplies, training, etc.)
- Assist with inventory control.
- Write work requests for work that Maintenance will perform.
- Assist the Lab Tester with tank sampling if necessary
- Multitasking – to effectively deal with the simultaneous multiple samples to be tested
- Time management – to meet the testing deadline expectations
- Communication – to relay precise, detailed, accurate information to your team
- Organizational – for keeping track of and accurately reporting results
- Attention to details
- The ability to work independently
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Scientific and math skills to apply formulas, identify significant figures and round numbers as required
Education: B.S. in Chemistry is preferred but a 4-year science related degree