Per Sé Group is in search of a Battery Energy Storage System Engineer for our client, a U.S.-based renewable energy company that owns and operates an expanding portfolio of about 2,700MW. Their operational fleet stretches from California to New Jersey and their wind, solar, and energy storage capabilities continue to grow through ongoing investment in their existing portfolio and their active pursuit of new development and acquisition opportunities.
In this role, you will report to the Senior Manager of BESS Engineering, and you will be responsible for leading battery energy storage system (BESS) development and project execution engineering support functions. Your experience with utility-scale energy storage design as well as your ability to manage complex and time-sensitive projects in a fast-paced environment while communicating effectively will be paramount to success in this position.
- SME for energy storage design & engineering across functional teams. Review project specific technical PPA/LGIA requirements and develop EPC technical exhibits.
- Work as the main liaison internally between different stakeholders/ business units- engineering, project development, procurement, etc. to ensure seamless execution of projects.
- Lead BESS fire protection and safety code compliance reviews and support BESS construction and commissioning to address engineering issues/RFI responses.
- Support project development and procurement teams in sizing and optimizing energy storage systems and augmentation.
- Oversee BESS plant design engineering activities as an “Owners Engineer” managing external energy storage and 3rd party engineering firms for 30%, 60%, 90%, IFP/IFC packages, electrical studies, and vendor technical submittals.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering; master’s preferred; PE Engineering Certification preferred
- 5 years of Engineering experience; A minimum of two (2) years of related experience in energy storage.
- Experience in utility-scale energy storage power plants; Familiarity with medium voltage ac collection and HV substation designs.
- Knowledge of energy storage inverters and energy storage technology offerings and suppliers.
- Basic understanding of BESS plant electrical studies and energy storage into plant SCADA is a plus.
- Familiarity with latest versions of energy storage codes/standards including NFPA 855, NESC, UL9540/UL9540A.