The Purchasing Agent for Fabricated/Engineering Equipment plays a crucial role in sourcing, negotiating, and procuring high-quality equipment required for the client’s operations. This position involves identifying reliable suppliers, obtaining competitive prices, managing vendor relationships, and ensuring the timely delivery of materials while maintaining cost-efficiency and quality standards. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) have been established to measure and drive success in this role.
Supplier Sourcing and Selection:
- Research and identify potential suppliers of fabricated/engineering equipment.
- Evaluate supplier capabilities, quality standards, and capacity to meet the company's needs.
- Establish a network of reliable vendors capable of providing required equipment within specified timelines.
- Negotiate pricing, terms, and contracts with suppliers to ensure favorable terms for the company.
- Obtain competitive quotes and analyze cost structures to achieve cost savings without compromising quality.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with suppliers, fostering open communication and collaboration.
- Monitor supplier performance, addressing any issues that arise, such as delays, quality concerns, or deviations from specifications.
- Continuously assess and improve procurement processes to enhance efficiency and reduce lead times.
Purchase Order Processing:
- Prepare and process purchase orders in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Ensure accuracy of order details, quantities, pricing, and delivery schedules.
- Work closely with quality assurance teams to establish and enforce quality standards for purchased equipment.
- Conduct supplier audits and inspections to ensure compliance with specifications.
Preferred Skills and Expertise:
- Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management, Business, Engineering, or a related field (or equivalent work experience), or
- 3+ Proven experience as a Purchasing Agent or similar role, preferably in the fabricated/engineering equipment industry, or
- 5+ years of experience in Procurement / purchasing within capital projects, renewable solar preferred
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to secure favorable terms and pricing.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for effective vendor relationship management.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to assess cost structures, market trends, and supplier capabilities.
- Proficiency in using procurement software and tools.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to maintaining high-quality standards.
- Problem-solving skills to address procurement and supplier-related challenges.
- Familiarity with legal aspects of procurement contracts and agreements.